What size, format and colour profile should I use on Redbubble?
Size and Format
When it comes to putting images on Redbubble we prefer big, high-resolution original files to make fantastic prints. And when we say 'big' we're principally referring to the number of pixels in a file. The file size (in MB) is not the best indicator of whether a file is suitable for printing. In the example below the image has a file size of 3.04 MB (quite small) and a resolution of 3779*1974 = 7.46 megapixels (reasonably large). So a file that may have looked quite 'small' is actually suitable for printing at large sizes.
Here are the resolution thresholds for each of our products:
- Greeting Cards: 1300x900 pixels (1 megapixel) more info on cropping, borders and aspect ratio for cards here
- Matted Prints: 1800x1260 pixels (2.5 megapixels)
- Mounted and Framed Prints and Stretched Canvas:
- 2400×1600 pixels (4 megapixels) for the small print
- 3240×2160 pixels (7 megapixels) for the medium print
- 3840×2560 pixels (10 megapixels) for the large print
- 2500×3500 pixels for the smallest print
- 3500×5000 pixels for the medium print
- 5000×7100 pixels for the large print
- Calendar images: 2182x1906 pixels for the months and 2371x2875 pixels for the cover
- Clothing and stickers: 2400×3200 pixels will cover the printable area, although you can resize larger images to fit when uploading. The file must be a PNG.
- iPhone cases : 1187 x 1852 pixels will cover the printable area, however you can resize larger images to fit. The file must be in RGB colour and in JPG or PNG format.
Bleed and cropping
- As with all professional printing practices, the actual printed product will often vary slightly from the image. It is not recommended to put text or borders on the outer edges of images as there will always be a small margin for bleed on all printed products.
Other important notes:
- Please do not manually change the pixel dimensions of your image. We use the number of pixels in an image to determine which sizes are appropriate – if you change the pixel dimensions you will trick our quality control software – but the products will come out looking blocky and horribly pixelated.
- If your image size or format is not right, this might restrict you from selling some products. We automatically determine which products your file can be used to create, so that we only ship products that both you and we can be proud of.
- Images above 60Mb, or 10,000×10,000 pixels in size, cannot be accepted on the site due to the unreasonable load they place on our servers.
- If you’re uploading files larger than 20MB they should probably be compressed or scaled down a bit — we don’t print billboards yet!
We accept JPEG or PNG files (we don't accept TIFF or PDF files).
We prefer the sRGB colour space (our printers are calibrated to sRGB).